Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'd Be Like 444 Yrs Old!


Carter had a rough hour last night...woke up an hour after he went to bed and threw up. Of course Mommy went into "panic mode" and thought that the "stomach bug" that has been going around had finally hit our house...got on the phone with the doctor and settled in for a long night after Mike called out of work so that he could help throughout the night and then today. Well we are very lucky bc it was only a couple times in that hour that he threw up and hasn't since. We think it might be a reaction to the med he's taking for his ear and having his rice cereal for dinner (he hadn't had rice cereal since Fri. bc of the fever he came down with on Sat night...but he seemed good to go for eating on Wed. night bc he hadn't had a fever since Sunday and we thought he was adusting well to his med...but little guy must not enjoy his rice with a side of amoxicillin! He always has a smile for you though...even after throwing up...(This pics are from yesterday afternoon after his bath...his hair is all spiky!)

And here is our little lady in her first ever "fort" that she made with the cushions...she has seen so many of the older kids do it at our house and wants to be like them...
God has been working on me so much through my children. I love them so much and need to constantly remind myself that they are "on loan" and aren't really mine. I can become so consumed by worries for them, the state of the world, people losing jobs, children fighting things like cancer, etc that I fail to trust God in the midst my days and fall into fear. I don't want to teach my children to fear.
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
~Matt 6:26-27

So if worrying could add hours to my life I would be quite an OLD LADY! I spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME WORRYING! And I know that is not what God has for me, bc "He came so that we may have life and life to the fullest." So why do I constantly fall into it? I want to be like a bird and not worry about tomorrow...There are no Momma birds storing away worms for their babies...they are trusting that what their babies need and what they need will be given to them for that particular day. And all the while they sing! I want to be more like that and be a a Woman of Prayer and not a Woman of Worry! I am so thankful that the Lord is patient with me as He tries to teach me the same things over and over again!!! I need to remember that Jesus said:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."

~John 14:1

4 comments:

Courtney said...

thanks for those verses and words! i struggle with worry for my kids often.

Ali said...

I hear you and am with you!
I do know you well enough, that however much you worry you follow it up with a desire to trust HIM more. And that is better for your kids to see, than a mom who doesn't show her worries :)

The Barnes Family said...

Phew, I'm so glad it's not the dreaded stomach bug!! (But still sad that he's having such a rough time with his meds.)

Kelley said...

Our small group just did a series called WHY WORRY? All three sessions were great...but Andy Stanley said something in the last one that REALLY hit me hard this week. "Why do we constantly worry about things that God has taken care of in the past? We worry about MONEY...but God has never failed us before. We worry about loneliness...but God has never failed us before. We continually "question" God on things He has already PROVED Himself to us on." That hit me hard. It is very hard to remember this...but those words were kinda like a smack in the face in a new way... Just thouht I'd share.

P.S. You are such a good Mom.. xoxox