Friday, June 11, 2010

Ode to Stella


I went through old pics the other day to look back at Stella...this is when you could snuggle up with her and she loved up on you...for many yrs we haven't been able to touch her for fear of a scratch or a bite...she loved being around the family, but def. had her "personal space bubble"...Don't pop it!

We adopted her from our first apartment complex...she was living out of a dumpster and she was so grateful when we brought her home...She and Mags were pals and snuggle buddies....then all of a sudden she changed and became "the mean cat"...I was worried about how she would be around children when we were preg. with Mallory...we taught the kids early on to give her space and we cohabited nicely as a family...

Last weekend she went missing for 5 days (and she has NEVER gone missing in the 6 yrs we have had her)...she is a plump and lazy gal who never went very far from home...we had to squirt her with water bottles to make her go outside to use the restroom...(these pics are from when she was skinny....pre SASSY)...When the kids and I returned home the other day for naptime she was in our front yard...I actually gasped when I saw her...she looked like death (I will spare the details)...we took her into the vet and they worked on her and kept her over night to try to save her, but they couldn't...We feel like she drug herself home to say, "Goodbye"...

It is weird to mourn a pet who didn't really want to relate to you...I wonder what the kids will remember about her...(prob me saying to all our friends when they came over, "Don't touch the gray cat..she's the mean cat"...how SAD!)

*We loved the way she would lay belly up on the rug and sleep...she felt secure here...ain't no one gonna touch her! :)
*When you would get ice from the fridge you would hear her scramble to get to the kitchen (one of the only times you could see her really get moving)
*She loved brooms and would love to watch you sweep and would try to sit on the broom
*Listening to her snore under our bed at night...didn't know cats snored until her...
*She was always right with us- in the yard or in the house...wanting to be near her family- just don't touch her (!!!)

We miss you Stella and are glad you aren't in any more pain! You are our Sassy Stella Bella...

4 comments:

Aunt Suzy said...

Sadness!!!Its weird how pets can turn mean all of a sudden!At least she lived a good life and enjoyed it while she was here!I always tried to sneak in and pet that cat!Just think of how different her life would have been if you guys hadn't taken her in. I'm sure she is forever grateful! RIP Stella!

Carol said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that she didn't make it :( Poor Stella... I'm glad she did come back to you so you know what happened to her, but how sad! The loss of a pet is definately hard! Thinking of you... Love you bunches!

Ali said...

I am so sorry. She was lucky to have you guys. I am sure it is not easy saying goodbye. I am glad you had some great photos to remember her by.

The Perreca Family said...

I am so sorry for your loss- she was kinda like your first born. I'm sure she is bragging in cat heaven, about the amazing life she had here! I'll be calling you when Kierke passes away- you have handled this with such grace!